BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, July 17, 2009

Dirt Track Racing

I'll be honest - I've never been a big fan of summer.  I much prefer fall or spring.  Summer in Iowa is a sticky, hot mess.  If you aren't dodging hail & a tornado, it's probably hot enough to cook an egg on the sidewalk.


However, summer does mean one thing in Iowa:  Dirt Track Racing.  So every weekend has nearly unlimited options for dirt track lovers.  Two of my favorites are quickly approaching: the Knoxville Nationals (in August) and the Boone Supernationals (in September).

The Knoxville Nationals are in their 49th year of racing sprint cars.  While the cars have evolved from their original non-wing form to the current winged configuration, the racing remains exciting.  The Nationals are a four day sprint car extravaganza with a nice side show of sweet corn on the cob, turkey legs, and homemade pie.  

The Boone Supernationals are a completely different animal.  Hundreds of cars arrive to race their way into the Saturday night show, and spend all week trying to do it.  The Supernationals are sanctioned by IMCA, so there are Late Models, Modifieds, Sport Modifieds (both Southern & Northern), Sprint Cars, Hobby Stock cars, and Stock Cars.  Typically, by the start of the Modified qualifiers on Wednesday, the races start at 3 p.m. and end at 3 a.m. (give or take an hour or more).  Naturally, a good seat cushion is a must!

So, while there is still time this summer, get out to the dirt track and take in a show.  If your local track isn't exciting enough, plan to go to a big event.  And if you need any ideas, I'm sure I can come up with a few!








7 comments:

jon_464 said...

IowaGirl, good post. And not only do you need a good seat cushion, you need a STRONG thermos full of coffee to stay up till 3 am!

RA6AN said...

WooHoo! Let's go racin', Girl!

photogr said...

Well the food certainly got my interest up for the Knoxville Nationals. And there is lots of dirt track racing too. Best to eat between races I would imagine.

klvalus said...

I agree with Photo -- you caught my attention with the food! LOL

Dirt racing looks like it would be fun to do...have you ever done a hot lap or anything like that Iowa?

Gene Haddock said...

Put me down for some of that sweet corn on the cob...on a stick! Silver Queen, hopefully.

3a.m.? You are a true racer.

Whenever you think it's hot and humid in Iowa just drop in on Charleston, SC for a minute. Anytime between April and October!

Anonymous said...

IowaGirl....After the response I got from my Roadhawg blog on FOX, I'm doing a REMEMBERING ATHENS SPEEDWAY on Myspace, where all the rough and tough dirt track racers hang out. I'm up to 50 drivers, the oldest being 40 (except for an 'old' boyfriend who is 57 and is a drag racer now) and the rest are teenagers. Only 2 of them remember Athens Spdway.lol We've got 3 dirt tracks nearby but I wouldn't dare go without a bodyguard!lol

myspace.com/athenspdway

Annette said...

Jon - If you can sneak the coffee in, you're good!

Photo - Actually, you have all day to eat. And if you're good, you could sneak during the day to the Iowa State Fair and have lots of stuff on a stick: smores, pork chops, twinkies, etc.

KLV - No, I haven't had a ride in a car yet.

Gene - Sometimes it is later. Just depends on how quickly the heats go. I know Charleston is hot and sticky. Iowa is like that in August. This year July hasn't been as hot or sticky. I think it is saving up for August or Sept.

Belle- sounds like fun